Sunday 13 April 2014

Are your hands and feet cold? (non-wedding-related)

Mine were. Constantly. My husband would always complain about me “stealing” his heat (he used slightly more obscene language) as I rubbed my feet up against his warm legs, or as I stuck my ice-block hands up his top. Naturally, I thought it was funny. That’s because I didn’t really see it as a problem. Everyone has freezing extremities, right? Wrong. Little did I know, all of those years, I actually had a thyroid gland that was coughing and spluttering…..trying its absolute best to drive up my body temperature. Unfortunately, there were a number of factors in my life that were saying “F&@k you, thyroid!”, including:
  • Under-eating 
  • Over-exercising
  • Eating gluten (for breakfast, lunch and dinner – not smart when you have undiagnosed celiac disease)
  • Stressing like a mo-fo! Stress was my middle name! I wore it like a badge of honour! Fool!
  • Not allowing enough time for R&R


So it’s not surprising that I am now on dessicated thyroid extract (a natural thyroid supplement) to try and get this baby up and running again. If you’re thinking you can live with cold hands and feet, that isn’t all that low thyroid causes. Your thyroid impacts pretty much every cell in your body, with an underactive thyroid looking something like this:
  • Dry skin
  • Brain fog
  • Inability to focus
  • Poor memory
  • Infertility
  • Menstrual irregularities (which I have spoken about at length HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE….just in case you were after some light reading on the topic of periods)
  • Weight gain (and inability to lose weight)
Sexy, right?


That’s just a short list, and we haven’t even gotten to the subject of hyperthyroid (over-active) and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis!! And I’m not going to. Not here. Not yet, anyway. That’s because there is a FREE online Thyroid Summit coming up, starting May 4th with a bunch of AMAZING, incredibly knowledgeable, health practitioners (nutritionists, doctors, naturopaths and more) that are going to show you how you can NATURALLY heal your thyroid and restore optimal health through real food and lifestyle changes, as opposed to burying your head in the (warm) sand until it’s too late, like I did.


I’m particularly excited about these ones:
  • Chris Kresser – Thyroid Myths and Truths (because I love all things Chris Kresser)
  • Reed Davis - Stop Chasing Symptoms: An Illustrated Guide to Finding the Root Cause of Thyroid Disorders
  • Dan Kalish – Home Thyroid Testing (because sometime needles just suck)
  • Kim Schuette - The Thyroid’s Effect on Conception and Pregnancy
  • BenGreenfield – How exercise destroys your thryroid…and what you can do about it

So if you are interested in your own health, or perhaps you’re a practitioner caring for the health of others. Check this out while it is still free, because it won’t be free after the sessions have aired, but there will be an opportunity to purchase them and keep them for life. Then you can watch thyroid videos OVER and OVER. Doesn’t that excite you? No? Oh well, I always knew I was different!

Checkout the Thyroid Summit and let me know what you think!











No comments:

Post a Comment