Tuesday 25 February 2014

Paleo Meatballs & Mash

This week's guest post is from the beautiful Chantel from EvoPrime Fitness in Airlie Beach. I have known Chantel for a few years now - she is the other half of our amazing friend Jan, who worked with us at Primal Fitness in Sydney. Lucky for us, Jan stayed in contact after he moved to one of the most beautiful places in Australia (It is where Brangelina recently dined), and to this day, Chantel and Jan remain very close, lifelong friends of ours. Check out the cute couple with their ViPR baby:


Take it away, Chantel:

Well I have never shared a recipe before so I am a little bit excited about it. I love cooking and I love eating, however my work/home/study life usually puts a dampener on my creative time in the kitchen. But that's all about to change... I am working on freeing myself up to engage in more of the things that I enjoy to do, and creative cooking is definitely one of them!

Tuesday morning I was driving to work thinking about all that needed doing this day. The conversation went back and forth with myself in my head, and eventually got to the dreaded question of ..... what's for dinner?! What miracle creation can I produce with the limited  produce available in my refrigerator for dinner? I had some pork mince that needed to be used up, so my protein was sorted and I thought it might be cool to make them into meatballs (pretty creative for me). The rest would be conjured up with whatever vegetables I had available.

Do you ever have those mornings where you get into the car and drive on autopilot, so consumed in thought that by the time you have worked through your entire schedule you are at your destination thinking, "Jeez that was quick. How did I even get here?" If this is you too,  I am here to tell you that this is very hazardous and I'm suggesting you STOP IT!!!! Why, you ask - because that's not living in the present. Enjoy your beautiful scenic tour and music before you start your days work. I promise, you will walk through your work doors more refreshed, happy and ready for what's ahead! And the second reason... Have you seen the side of my car? 



Anyway, before I give you the recipe, I have to tell you what is so good about my meatballs and mash that made me want to share it with you.
  1. They were super delicious and a bit "gourmet!"
  2. I used ingredients that are staples in my house, and should be in yours.
  3. I used ingredients that are whole foods (no canned, bottled, or sachet sauces)
  4. It was easy to make (especially with a thermomix, more on that to come)
  5. No sugar, gluten, dairy (except some organic butter, because that guy is definitely welcomed) or any other disruptive food additives.

 Ok, so now that you are convinced as to why to give them a go, here is HOW!

By the way, I have just realised one important reason why I have been holding back sharing recipes with you all - I have a thermomix (if you don't know what this is or someone who has one, sorry but you haven't lived). It makes chopping, cooking, steaming super easy and super quick so I find myself not even knowing how to convert what I cook to normal pots and pans and oven talk. But I've decided to not be so selfish and try!!! Kate Callaghan it's seriously time you invest!!!!! With your skills you will be dangerous with this in your kitchen!!!!

(Kate's note re Thermomix pushing - I'm considering it, although I do kind of like working with multiple pots and pans and hanging out in the kitchen, tasting as I go. Not sure my husband agrees, considering he is left to deal with the aftermath)

Meatballs & Mash

It tastes better than it looks, I promise!
Still working on my presentation skills!

Ingredients:
Meatballs
  • 400g of pork mince
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 carrot
  • 1/2 capsicum
  • 1 egg
  • Sprinkle of coconut flour
  • Fresh herbs from my garden (chives, parsley, mint) (If you're reading this, not sure if Chantel has enough herbs in her garden for everyone, so you may need to source your own. Just sayin')

 Napoli Sauce
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 zucchini
  • Salt and pepper
  • Water (to adjust consistency)

Cauliflower Mash
  • 1/2 cauliflower
  • Butter (grass fed, organic)
  • Yeast Flakes
  • Salt and pepper

Method:

Meatballs
  1. Chop garlic, onion, vegetables and herbs in a food processor (or thermomix bowl). Transfer to mixing bowl
  2. Add pork mince and egg and combine (easiest to use your hands). If too runny, sprinkle with some coconut flour to absorb excess moisture
  3. Roll in hands to make small rissoles/meatballs
  4. Now this is where it gets challenging. I steamed my meatballs in the varoma part of the thermomix for 25 mins. So alternatively you could bake your meatballs in the oven, steam them, or cook slowly on the pan with coconut oil.

Napoli Sauce
  1. Add all ingredients into the food processor (thermomix) and blend to form a liquid
  2. Add water if the mixture is too thick. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Heat in saucepan or thermomix.

Cauliflower mash
  1. Boil/steam cauliflower in pot or thermomix
  2. Strain water and add cauliflower to food processor/thermomix or mash with fork
  3. Add tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper and yeast flakes to cauliflower mash (I don't know about you but these yeast flakes remind me of parmesan cheese) 

 Serve mash on bottom, meatballs and sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh herbs.

Well I was pretty chuffed with myself after a hard day that my car park creation was a quick and tasty success. Made easier of course with my "Thermy" (pet name for my thermomix). So what do you think? No need for traditional pasta and bottled sauce when you have this easy alternative.
 
Thermomix in action, steaming the meatballs
P.S. If you are wondering, no I'm not a thermomix consultant. Its just a joy to work with and legitimately easier. I still have a slow cooker and pots and pans :)

2 comments: